Did someone say double chocolate chip cookies?? Oh yeah, babe! Cookies are tasty little concoctions but when you add the words ‘double chocolate’ to any cookie recipe you know its gonna’ be good!
I mean chocolate cookies are fantastic and chocolate chip cookies are the tasty little nuggets of pure bliss. But double chocolate chip cookies? -Now these scrumptious little gems are the stuff dreams are made of! Honestly, I don’t know how I ever got by without them.
This double chocolate chip cookies recipe produces sweet chewy little cocoa confections that fill your kitchen with the fragrance of happiness.
It’s double chocolate – need I say more? Seriously though, I love that this double chocolate chip cookies recipe is simple and straightforward. Plus, it’s not an all-day affair because they are ready and cooling in half an hour flat. I also love that this recipe makes more than just a few cookies because trust me – these little babies are gonna’ disappear! Here are even more reasons to love it.
- Sweet chewy decadence at your fingertips
- Double – chocolate – chip!
- Simple straightforward recipe
- Great for treats, parties & get-togethers
- Soft chewy consistency and crispy in all the right places
Now, this double chocolate chip cookies recipe is slightly different from my chocolate chocolate chip cookies recipe and you can tell in the finished product. It’s closer to the double chocolate chip cookies Subway makes because its so decadent and there’s two different types of chocolate in the mix aside from chocolate chips. Now that’s double chocolate!
Here we go…
It’s important to sift the dry ingredients together before adding any moisture components. The reason is twofold. First, it helps thoroughly incorporate the leavening agent so that your baked goods rise properly. Second, it gives you a lighter fluffier product.
Mixing strengthens the gluten in wheat flour. Combining your wet and dry ingredients separately means they need less mixing when you incorporate them. Less mixing gives you more of a light airy texture. More mixing gives you a chewier texture. Overmixing gives you a dry crunchy cookie all the way through (and it may not rise at all).
There’s also an easy way to get your cookies nearly the same size and thickness for even cooking. First, use a scooper to scoop out even portions and put them on your cookie sheet. Once the sheet is filled, lay a piece of wax paper over your cookies and gently press another cookie sheet on top until they are the desired thickness. Viola! Into the oven they go…
Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredient Notes
This double chocolate chip cookies recipe makes some of the best chocolate chip cookies ever! Just thinking about them puts a smile on my face. Here’s a tip from an experienced cook – double chocolate chip cookies calories don’t count against you. There’s just no way anything this good could be bad for you!
Now, if you want double chocolate chip cookies vegan style, you may have to find a different recipe because this one has half a dozen eggs in it. But anyway, let’s get down to business!
Let’s start with the butter and eggs. They need to be at room temperature and that can mean different things to different people. In cooking terms, room temperature is between 65-67 degrees Fahrenheit and here’s why it matters.
The creaming process is basically incorporating air into food products so they will rise properly in the oven. The sugar crystals scratch the surface of the butter creating air pockets that will expand.
Eggs are 90 percent water which is why the whites can be whipped into meringue at room temperature. Even if you cream the butter and sugar properly, adding cold eggs can harden the butter and kill the delicate air pockets.
Using room temperature butter and eggs will simply give you a better cookie, according to experience and science. This is also why you want to let your melted chocolate cool before adding it to the mixture. Same premise.
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies Storing Tips
This double chocolate chip cookies recipe is so amazingly delicious, there may not be a bunch left to store. You can leave these easy chocolate chip cookies in a covered container on the counter but refrigerating certainly doesn’t hurt. Besides, how long can you really store double chocolate chip cookies? Once they cool, they’re all but gone!
It is a good idea to put a piece of white bread in the container with your cookies as it helps absorb the moisture to keep them tasting oven fresh!
Can You Freeze This?
You sure can!! This double chocolate chip cookies recipe freezes really well, raw or cooked. I like to whip up a double batch and cook half then through the other half in the freezer. Here’s an easy method.
Go ahead and prepare them on a cookie sheet as if they were going into the oven – but put them in the freezer instead, pan and all. Let them sit there for an hour to harden. Then you can pull your pan out and toss your cookies in a sealed freezer bag.
Dark Chocolate Cookies Make Ahead Tips
Making your double chocolate chip cookies recipe ahead of time gives you a little something extra to look forward to during the week! I like to mix up a big batch on Sunday afternoon and put them in weekday lunches. Nothing puts a smile on a Monday face like a decadent homemade double chocolate chip cookie!
If you prefer darker chocolate, you can also make dark chocolate cookies with this recipe by simply substituting dark cocoa and dark chocolate. I personally love the recipe the way it is. I think I even prefer it over Nestle double chocolate chip cookies! It’s that good!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge?
Your double chocolate chip cookies recipe will stay good in the fridge for up to 7 days if stored properly. If you don’t hide them, though, these tasty little morsels of bliss will never last that long!
There are so many ways to tweak this double chocolate chip cookies recipe and make it your own. You can use dark chocolate, milk chocolate or a mixture of both. You can also make them chewier or crunchier to your discretion. You can even slap some ice cream between two of them and make ice cream sandwiches. Use your imagination and the world is yours!
What Other Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies Can I Bake?
I am so in love with this double chocolate chip cookies recipe but if you want soft chocolate chip cookies then maybe you should try making chocolate chip pudding cookies! Chocolate cake mix cookies are another sweet fluffy treat that goes great with a tall glass of cold milk or a piping hot cup of coffee.
Can I Add Peanut Butter?
Simply adding peanut butter to this double chocolate chip cookies recipe will change the consistency of these beautiful little nuggets of happiness. However, you can make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies or chocolate peanut butter chip cookies. Similar names, different cookies. Of course, if you’re Reese’s fan then you’ll love chocolate peanut butter cookies too.
Can I Use Hot Chocolate Mix Instead?
Now we’re getting a little wild and crazy! Hot chocolate cookies are fantastic, especially in the cold weather but they’re different than the double chocolate chip cookies recipe. If you’re already fond of hot chocolate, then try Mexican hot chocolate cookies for a new flavor twist that’ll take you by sweet surprise!
Can I Add Oatmeal To This Recipe?
I get it. Who doesn’t love oatmeal cookies, right? Instead of trying to add oatmeal to your double chocolate chip cookies recipe, just make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies instead. Since peanut butter goes really well with oatmeal, you can also make peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that’ll leave you craving more.
Can I Turn This Into Brownie Recipe?
This double chocolate chip cookies recipe produces sweet decadence every bit as moist and delicious as a chocolate brownie. BUT, if a moist chewy chocolate brownie is where you really shine, I get it. In fact, I’ve been there myself.
Finding an incredible chewy brownie recipe is like finding little gold nuggets on the sidewalk. You want to pick it up and hold it close! I also love making German chocolate brownies with that extra little bit of texture.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound, plus 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of very hot, but not boiling water, not allowing the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Add the chopped chocolate, stirring occasionally, until melted. Remove from saucepan and cool 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined. Increase the speed of the mixer and beat a couple of minutes until batter is very light, creamy, and pale in color.
- Add the cooled chocolate and the vanilla to the butter mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Increase the mixers speed to high and continue to beat until the batter is very light, creamy and light in color. Stir in the dry ingredient. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a large cookie scoop, portion the dough onto prepared cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Flatten dough slightly.
- Place cookie sheet in preheated oven and bake 14-16 minutes, rotating halfway through baking, or until tops are softly set and they're evenly cracked all over.
- Let cookies completely cool on the baking sheet. Use a thin metal spatula to remove.
Fans Also Made:
None foundRate This Recipe
This double chocolate chip cookies recipe is by far one of my favorites. It’s moist chewy chocolatey delight that puts a smile on my face and brightens my day. If you feel the same way, you may like some of these other great chocolate chip cookies recipes.
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies – Decadence at your fingertips!
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – Moist chewy delight in every bite.
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies – Perfect for the holiday season.
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – Sweet salty deliciousness in half an hour.
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies – Great for decorating too!
Moist chewy double chocolate chip cookies are nothing short of chocolatey bliss and they are ready in under an hour. These little babies are fantastic for a weekend afternoon, holiday party or special occasion. If you dream in cocoa, you are going to love these!