This Red Velvet Bundt Cake is made all from Scratch and is moist, tender and has just the right amount of cocoa. If you love Red Velvet this is a “must try”
This is a truly wonderful Red Velvet Bundt Cake Recipe! In my opinion, it rivals any Red Velvet Cake, from any of the best bakeries. It’s made all from scratch and is actually pretty darn easy to put together. It’s has a very tender crumb, is moist and I find it to actually be a bit lighter in texture than many cakes of its type.
Red Velvet Bundt Cake
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 3/4 Cups Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil I use canola
- 1 Cup Buttermilk Well Shaken
- 2 Large Eggs At Room Temperature
- 2 Tablespoons 1 Ounce Bottle Red Food Coloring
- 1 Teaspoon Distilled White Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 4 Ounces 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar Sifted
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium, for 1 minute. Turn mixer to low and add flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until each addition is just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake in preheated oven 40-55 minutes (the original instructions called for 40 minutes of baking. Mine took 52 minutes) or until a cake tester or bamboo stick comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, make frosting; In a medium mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until just smooth and combined. Turn the mixer on low and add the powdered sugar slowly until frosting is smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Spread or pipe frosting over completely cooled cake. Store any left over in the fridge!
Fans Also Made:
None foundRate This Recipe
Red Velvet Cake Recipe Notes:
Sifter: This is one of the few recipes I actually pull out my sifter and use it. I think that it helps keep the cake from being overly heavy and improves the overall texture. Now, if I’m being completely honest though, I don’t sift the powder sugar for the frosting.
Sifting the powdered sugar is a smart thing to do. It gives you a smoother frosting……I know! I know! What are a few lumps between friends?
Bake Time: The original baking time for this recipe was 40 minutes. I don’t think I’ve ever baked a bundt cake for only 40 minutes! Mine was completely raw inside at that point. I baked mine 52 minute overall and it was perfect. Just remember oven temperatures all vary.
Bowl Size: Yes, size matters, especially the depth. When you’re mixing the wet ingredients, you want to use a mixing bowl with some depth rather than say a shallow, pyrex mixing bowl.
The first time I made a Red Velvet Cake from scratch, I used my large pyrex mixing bowl which has a nice large diameter but is fairly shallow. I swear that the batter spattered out of the bowl and onto just about every inch of my kitchen.
It looked like a scene out of Dexter! LOL!!!
Pan Size: This recipe is baked in a 12 cup bundt pan. I love the Nordic Ware Pro Cast Original Bundt Pan
and use it ALL the time! The pans walls are nice and thick and made to last. They conduct heat evenly and prevent the edges from browning too much. The thickness also prevents the pan from getting dented, which results, obviously, in a nicer finished cake. Speaking of the finished cake, this pan produces beautiful, crisp design detail on the cake.
All the cakes I’ve made release very well from this pan. I think it’s the texture of the pan that helps in this area.
More Cakes like This:
- Lemon Pound Cake – Moist and tender with the perfect lemon flavor!
- Coconut Buttermilk Cake – Tender cake balanced with sweetness and a subtle tang!
- Easy Bourbon Pecan Cake with Caramel Glaze -Buttery, rich, tender, loaded with Pecans and just the right amount of Bourbon, and topped with a Caramel Glaze!
- Sock It To Me Cake– is delicious Southern butter with an amazing streusel filling. Our cake starts with a cake mix to make prep easy and results foolproof.
More Red Velvet Recipes….
- Red Velvet Brownies
- Red Velvet Bundt Cake
- Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Balls
Source: Very Slightly Adapted From Kiss My Bundt